Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Bindi binded; family bonded!

Finally! Sitting down to write. Writing, something for my self and not for completing numerous assignments!

Well, Facebook provokes thoughts and here, I am with one of them. I read a comment saying that how putting 'bindi', the traditional Hindu way of not keeping the forehead empty is actually a matter of debate between the younger and older generations.
The older people want their daughters and girls in their homes to wear a bindi whereas the girls/women do not prefer to wear them especially with jeans or western wear. Where do I fit in this? 

Well, belonging to a TamBrahm (Tamil Brahmin) community, my parents and other relatives have always scolded me for not putting a bindi. I never used to listen. Until, I found out that what I put on my mother's insistence, actually has turned out to be a distinguishing characteristic of my personality.Using a sharpened end of a 'kajal' pencil, putting the 'ornamental dot' in the centre of the two eyebrows, has now actually become a style statement, a part of my identity and ofcourse, brings happiness to my parents' faces. 

Traditionally, considered to aggravate a major nerve point in the body responsible for 'concealed wisdom' and contain all experience in totality, this part of the human body has a special bond, either with understanding the essence of some cultures or fashioning a new style.

1 comment: